Investment and Finance Director
JOB TITLE: Investments & Finance Director
LOCATION: CALGARY or EDMONTON
Alberta Ecotrust Foundation
Alberta Ecotrust is a registered charity created through a unique partnership established between the corporate sector and the environmental community in 1991. Guided by a vision of healthy ecosystems for all Albertans and a mission to inspire and mobilize those who champion and protect the environment, we were founded on the principles of fostering collaboration and trust.
Leading boldly ever since, our programs have expanded to build bridges across sectors and communities, focus on solutions and skills, and financially support hundreds of high impact environmental organizations, programs and projects across Alberta. We increasingly utilize a co-benefits approach to ecosystem challenges and financing pathways to a sustainable, low carbon future. Our environmental priorities include:
Energy conservation and the mitigation of climate change
Protection and conservation of water and watersheds
Protection and conservation of habitat, ecologically critical landscapes and sustainable urban land use
Alberta Ecotrust respectfully acknowledges that our programs are delivered across the province of Alberta, comprising Treaty 6, Treaty 7, and Treaty 8 territory, the traditional lands of First Nations and Métis Peoples.
We are committed to creating a safe, warm and welcoming environment for all people interested in applying for our positions.
Investments & Finance Director, Alberta Ecotrust Foundation
The Director, Investments and Finance is a new role and will work with the Alberta Ecotrust Foundation’s (AEF) team to find opportunities and mobilize capital for low-carbon solutions, consistent with AEF’s Investment Policy and Eligible Project Selection Criteria; thereby, growing AEF’s Climate Innovation Fund’s direct investing reach and influence.
Specifically, the role will involve researching, contacting, and securing potential investments for renewable energy projects, building retrofits, and businesses with proven low-carbon goods and services. This will be done in collaboration with the various committees and AEF staff working to make the Climate Innovation Fund a success. Using expert knowledge in project financing and equity investments, combined with a consistent application of rigorous due diligence processes, the position will pursue potential investments that both have financial return and fulfill the mandate of the Climate Innovation Fund.
By building trust in the community and developing collaborative relationships with co-investors and other funders the successful applicant will assist AEF in crowding in other capital to meet predefined leveraging goals. Meticulously documenting these relationships in AEF’s Client Relationship Management database will be the goal while solid research and insights are applied to contribute to the project pipeline and identify potential co-investors.
For Alberta Ecotrust, a recent federal investment of nearly $44 million via the Low Carbon Cities Canada initiative represents a significant expansion of our investment potential and finance requirements. We are looking for someone who is passionate about low carbon finance and who is business-minded, resourceful, and committed to thinking outside the box in finding solutions to complex challenges. This is a new position in our organization, and we are looking for a natural self-starter with strong leadership skills in designing and delivering our investment program.
This position is responsible for the following:
- Take a lead role in establishing the Climate Innovation Fund’s Direct Investment strategy, including the development of innovative financing structures for low carbon solutions
- Develop and implement direct investment policies
- Develop the processes, templates, contracts and tools necessary to conduct due diligence and deal structure for direct impact investments. Through the Climate Innovation Fund, AEF hopes to mobilize 10% of its endowment for the purposes of direct impact investment through debt financing or other financial products and services beginning in 2022; increasing this percentage to 40% over the next few years.
- Continue to establish and comanage AEF’s direct investment database and relationship database with potential co-investors and funders
- Provide a full spectrum of financial analysis to evaluate financial viability of projects identified as part of the project pipeline
- Develop impact performance indicators across our entire investment portfolio and monitor/report in accordance with AEF’s impact measurement system.
- Monitor developments in the impact investing space to improve and align the Climate Innovation Fund’s offerings
- Draft and deliver co-investment opportunities to potential partners, in collaboration with the AEF team
- Assist in structuring and closing direct investments as a lead or part of a syndicate
- Support the development and negotiation of investment strategies and terms that are consistent with the AEF Investment Policy
- In collaboration with the AEF Investment Committee, fund manager(s), and external investment advisor, track the performance of all investments (including Direct Investments) and, along with third-party investment advisor, present to AEF Investment Committee
- Working with the AEF leadership team, contribute to budget development and quarterly financial analysis, cash flow planning, and reporting to AEF Board, Investment Committee, and external stakeholders
- Contribute to AEF’s reporting mechanisms to comply with Funding Agreements and to ensure public communications build the reputation of the Climate Innovation Fund as it relates to mobilizing capital for low-carbon solutions (this may also include development of blog posts and presentations as well as formal annual and quarterly reporting)
- Continually work with the AEF leadership team and various committees to build capacity with respect to impact investment and direct investments
You will report directly to the Executive Team and you will frequently collaborate with the rest of the team at Alberta Ecotrust as you collaboratively generate impactful and compelling content. This position is available in Calgary with the expectation you will work in the office, if and when public health guidelines allow it and management deems it safe to return to the office.
A successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in business, finance, or a related field
- 7+ years’ experience in direct investment and/or lending, including credit analysis, deal structuring, underwriting and/or account management
- Detailed knowledge of the finance industry and related processes, especially in terms of real estate/renewable energy/energy efficiency/clean tech
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative financial analysis and interpreting legal documentation, including evaluating for impact
- Well developed understanding of investment banking, private equity, venture capital markets and the associated processes for deal development and structuring
- Demonstrated expertise in relationship building and partnership development, including expertise in CRM tools (Neon)
- Experience drafting and delivering business presentations/proposals
- Experience working with boards of directors/board culture
- Advanced working knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), advanced proficiency with spreadsheets, pivot tables and presentation software
Alberta Ecotrust provides a flexible schedule and a positive, collaborative team culture. Our staff are extremely motivated to make a difference, and you’ll be part of an innovative team that gets to do interesting, meaningful work aligned with their shared values and desire to improve the world.
This is a full-time, permanent position, offering a competitive salary for the nonprofit sector (between $95,000 - $105,000, commensurate with experience), benefits package, 35-hour work week, and 3 weeks of vacation to start.
How to Apply
- This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
- Submit your application to Alberta Ecotrust via our online recruitment system.
- Combine your cover letter and resume as one PDF document, named as follows: LastName_FirstName_Investments_Finance_Director
- Your cover letter and resume combined must not exceed four pages
Applicants are encouraged to identify in their applications if they are Indigenous Peoples, Black People, People of Colour, women, youth, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2SAI+ communities, new immigrants, refugees, and/or are members of other diverse communities.
If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing Rod Ruff, Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this position will remain open until the right candidate is found.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank everyone who applies.