Research Associate - Hybrid
About the Position
Hotchkis & Wiley is seeking a highly motivated individual with a genuine interest in learning about investing to become part of our Research Associate Program. Hotchkis & Wiley is a research-driven institutional asset management firm with a team-oriented, collegial culture. We have a strong track record of identifying attractive investment opportunities globally across the entire market capitalization range and across the capital structure for publicly traded securities. Our experienced team of investment professionals is committed to mentoring younger analysts and developing their ability to look through short term company issues to focus on the long term secular opportunity.
The Research Associates support our Investment Team, which currently consists of 24 members. The program is a two year program (which the company may extend to three years) and would provide an excellent foundation for someone who wants to eventually become an equity analyst or portfolio manager for an institutional asset management firm. While this program was originally designed to give pre-MBA candidates the unique opportunity to experience the asset management business prior to Business School, we will not discount applications from interested MBA or MFin candidates whom we believe would derive benefit from our program. Note that the applicant must be able to legally work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
The Research Associate will work together with our equity analysts/portfolio managers in conducting in-depth fundamental research for companies within one or more industries, including financial modeling and preparation of investment memos. The position is located in Los Angeles and will have flexibility between work in office and work from home.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Research and analyze potential investments and monitor current portfolio investments
- Construct and maintain detailed financial models including long term projections and valuation estimates
- Engage with company management as well as conduct calls and meetings with analysts and industry experts
- Compose investment updates and assist in creation of detailed investment presentations
- Understand and incorporate relevant economic and industry trends
- Provide analysis for client service as needed
Skills & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree (CFA a plus) with excellent academic credentials
- A passion for investing combined with creativity, integrity, and intellectual honesty
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including intermediate knowledge of Excel, accounting and finance. Experience with Bloomberg a plus
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in investment banking, accounting, or related financial services
- Strong communication skills, particularly written
- Team oriented individual who is willing to take the initiative and accept increasing responsibility
About Hotchkis & Wiley
Hotchkis & Wiley is an institutional asset management firm overseeing U.S. and global value equity and high yield portfolios for clients worldwide. The firm currently manages approximately $36 billion in assets and is majority owned by its management and employees. For more information refer to our website, www.hwcm.com.
Hotchkis & Wiley is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. Hotchkis & Wiley will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.