Kennedy Capital Management, Inc. (KCM) is a St. Louis-based, boutique investment firm that has focused on a goal of generating superior returns in the small and mid-cap domestic equity markets for our clients for more than 40 years. We are currently seeking to add a Research Associate to our team. We are an independent and 100% employee-owned investment adviser. Our team's top priority is working for institutions and high-net-worth individuals, fostering an entrepreneurial culture that results in mutually beneficial long-term relationships.
The role of the Research Associate is to assist the Research Analysts and Portfolio Managers with the analysis of company fundamentals including financial data, competitive position, macroeconomic and microeconomic factors and other opportunities and risks to determine equity valuations. Research Associates will work with the Research Analysts to build financial models and to communicate industry information and investment recommendations through both oral and written communications. Research Associates will constantly look to improve their knowledge and experience base through project work with Research Analysts and Portfolio Managers with the goal of gaining a stronger knowledge of our investment process and eventually gaining their own industry coverage.
- Conduct fundamental analysis including creating and maintaining earnings, valuation and industry models. A research analyst should leverage skills in finance, accounting, and economics to create financial models in order to assess the intrinsic value of a business compared to the value the market is assigning it. This will include return on investment, cash flow, balance sheet and income statement evaluations.
- Stay abreast of day-to-day industry-related news flow with ability to assess news impact on company valuations and be able to articulate the impact in both oral and written communications to both Research Analysts and Portfolio Managers.
- Get in front of industry and individual company trends through conferences, trade shows, government data, industry data and communication with company managements, including company visits. Also draw information from competitors, suppliers, customers, surveys, industry data, and other investment colleagues.
- Be an active ambassador for the Kennedy Capital Management brand.
- Maintain strong focus on compliance and risk management.
- Perform all other duties as assigned or requested by managers, executives, etc.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong interest in equity research and global financial markets with a solid quantitative background.
- BA/BS degree required.
- Pursuit of MBA, CFA or CPA strongly preferred.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to demonstrate competence with numerical concepts and tools including experience of working with, developing and improving financial models.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team player and interact effectively with others throughout the organization.
- The candidate will have a solid knowledge of equity and fixed income analytics and concepts.
- Project a positive, forward facing style of operation.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines without compromising accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills.
- This position is based in our offices in St. Louis, Missouri.
- At Kennedy, you'll have the support and flexibility to achieve your professional and personal goals, surrounded by diverse colleagues with high ethical standards.
- Meaningful and challenging work opportunities to help the team continue to meet Kennedy's investment objectives.
- Through investment skill-building, leadership development and working with an experienced investment team, we provide opportunities to help nurture your investment acumen and grow your career in institutional investing.
- Competitive compensation and benefit package.
- A great 401(k) program with company match.
- Encourage employees to maintain a healthy work life balance.
- Multiple team building and volunteer opportunities.