Senior Portfolio Manager, Investment Solutions
Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE: RGA) is one of the largest global providers of life reinsurance, with offices around the world. RGA delivers expert solutions in individual life reinsurance, individual living benefits reinsurance, group reinsurance, financial solutions, facultative underwriting and product development. Our mission is to enhance our clients’ prosperity by supporting their financial and risk management capabilities.
Create and manage investment portfolios, strategies, and framework to support Global Financial Solutions (GFS) for the Investment Solutions team. The Investment Solutions team develops and recommends liability driven investment strategy, portfolio construction and repositioning to support the acquisition of new insurance business. These strategies and associated portfolios must meet business needs (sufficient return on capital, regular investment income) while considering RGA’s appetite for investment risk, execution risks, and ALM matching.
- Serves as primary contact for traders, credit research, operations, and GFS teams.
- Provide management, oversight and direction of investment solutions.
- Develop relationships and strategic alliances with external contacts and internal cross-functional areas.
- Provide direction, management and oversight for credit related pricing assumptions for new business opportunities, in support of Global Financial Solutions, Corporate Development and Structured Finance.
- Suggest and review tools and models to support GFS and Corporate Development teams in analyzing opportunities and preparing pitch books.
- Manage and oversee strategies for new business deal opportunities including portfolio pricing and repositioning; implements and communicates repositioning strategies.
- Oversee all implementation issues relating to proposed asset strategies, including support of required approvals.
- Idea sourcing and deal review direction and strategy; implements strategies and deal execution.
- Communicate with and manages new business deal teams expectations and workflow in order to meet business objectives.
- Oversee completion of new investment approval memos, and presents investment recommendation.
- Develop new relationships; responsible for covering assigned general partners and sourcing transactions.
- Decision making authority on whether or not to move forward with transaction.
- Oversee the hand-off of responsibility to in-force management teams, upon successful close of transaction.
- Interact with ALM team and oversee responsibility for strategy implementation; may serve on related committees.
- Lead ALM discussions, especially regarding investment-related ALM risks during scoping/pricing phase.
- Suggest, review and inform new tools and frameworks to improve investment solutions and investment process.
- Review and at times present regular periodic and ad hoc Investments reporting.
- Manage and train portfolio managers and/or analysts as direct reports.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• MBA graduate and 7+ years relevant work experience Or Bachelor’s degree in Economics/Finance related field with 10+ years relevant work experience
• Masters, ASA, FSA, or CAIA
• CFA or significant progress towards
• Technology savvy, programming and process improvement/automation skills
• 10+ years corporate credit experience
• 10+ years alternative investment experience
• 10+ years fixed income management experience in an insurance client environment
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Highly advanced investigative, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Expert ability to work well in an environment with multiple concurrent projects, managing project-based work flow within demanding time frames and adapt quickly to new methods
• Expert oral and written communication skills demonstrating ability to share and impart knowledge
• Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional, and technical disciplines
• Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal and external customers to resolve issues or problems
• Highly advanced ability to work well within a team environment and participate in department/team projects
• Ability to balance detail with departmental goals/objectives
• Ability to translate business needs and problems into viable/accepted solutions
• Expert understanding of investment/market concepts
• Highly advanced knowledge of asset liability management
• Highly advanced skills in portfolio analysis and fixed income analytics (i.e. sector weightings, portfolio duration, performance attribution, convexity and term structure of interest rates)
• Highly advanced knowledge of fixed income markets including corporate bonds, ABS, MBS, CMBS, high yield, emerging markets, commercial loans, private placements, and alternative investments
• Highly advanced Excel/VBA, Bloomberg and BlackRock Solutions skills
• Highly advanced Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint skills
• Highly advanced business knowledge