Structured Research Strategy Associate Portfolio Manager
This position assists Portfolio Managers in managing a strategy in accordance with its respective investment mandate and guidelines to maximize long-term performance. The range of accountabilities of each APM varies based on the unique needs of the Portfolio Manager.
The following apply to both the U.S. and International Structured Research strategies (SRS):
Team management and long-term strategy
Collaborate with Directors of Research regarding timing of new analysts joining the SRS team; on-board new analysts to the SRS team; compile performance data for all participating analysts; provide timely feedback regarding analyst performance.
Develop quantitative analyses contributing to the management of each strategy; facilitate monthly meetings of Portfolio Oversight Teams; prepare analyses/materials and conduct annual SRS Team meetings; produce relevant data for SRS Advisory Committee meetings.
Daily Oversight Responsibilities
Evaluate risk profile of the master portfolio; ensure consistency of SRS positioning with ratings, comments in notes and meetings; manage overall cash balance, cash allocation and movement among analysts; manage monthly rebalance process; monitor and evaluate portfolio performance.
SRS Business/Franchise Management
Sales/Consultant Relations: Present team, process and results to prospective clients and consultants; participate in finals presentations for a variety of client types; develop relevant new exhibits to help tell the SRS story and position it vs. passive investing; review presentation materials for continued relevancy
Client Service: Travel to meet with clients in their offices (U.S., Europe, Canada, and Asia); develop specialized presentation materials for meetings with clients; respond to ad hoc requests from clients; review performance, including discrepancies from master portfolio performance, due to client-imposed restrictions.
- Understanding of what drives risk and returns in a portfolio, including active share, tracking error, up/down capture, risk factors, risk models; ability to evaluate these factors with respect to the SRS portfolio, as well as identify other factors that should be evaluated
- Understanding of how TRP invests
- Ability to synthesize analyst notes/recommendations and understand how they should translate into portfolio positions and rankings
- Ability to identify broad investment themes and how they impact the portfolio
- Ability to provide constructive, specific feedback
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
- Willingness/ability to travel based on sales/client service needs
- Perspective on institutional market, including present challenges, and how we can tailor our portfolio/story to meet the changing needs/wants of the market
- Attention to detail and organization
- Understanding of multi-factor and univariate return attributions
- Ability to present an investment story to a variety of audiences, written and verbal
- Ability to work with multiple teams (Investment, Sales/Client Service, Legal, Trading, ITS)
- Ability to make timely decisions