University of Minnesota Foundation Investment Advisors (UMFIA), is an independent nonprofit
subsidiary of the University of Minnesota Foundation (UMF). UMFIA was formed in 1998 to provide
dedicated professional management of UMF’s investments. UMF, also a 501(c)(3) non-profit
corporation, is a key partner with the University of Minnesota in building and sustaining excellence
among students and faculty and fueling discovery in important areas on all University‐wide campuses.
UMF accomplishes this by raising and managing gifts from individuals and organizations. UMF has
delegated the responsibility to invest these gifts to UMFIA. UMFIA currently manages in excess of $3.5
billion in endowment‐related assets across a broad set of investment allocations and strategies unique
among our peers.
UMFIA is governed by its Board of Directors which provides oversight of the investment portfolio and
organization. The creation of UMFIA was a recognition that a full‐time professional investment team
working with a small, but well‐informed and engaged board can make better investment decisions. The
UMFIA Board has delegated authority for all investment decisions to its Chief Investment Officer. The
Chief Investment Officer leads a small experienced team of professionals to maintain the highest level of
ownership and accountability for investment results.
Our strength as an organization comes from multiple sources and is reflected in our investment
philosophy, policies, and organizational structure. The following characteristics best describe UMFIA:
- Stable. The stable nature of our client’s assets provides us with the ability invest for the long‐run and embrace short‐term volatility.
- Accountable. Our governance model is optimized for long‐term investment success and is the envy of our peers.
- Focused and Flexible. The investment team places a greater emphasis on proactive investment sourcing. We are a team of generalists who can quickly go wherever the best investment opportunities may be.
- Right sized. We are not so large as to find ourselves shut out of smaller entrepreneurial and limited capacity situations, nor are we forced by size to invest exclusively with investment firms with significant assets under management and large funds.
The Investment Analyst position conducts research and analyses in support of sourcing, underwriting,
and due diligence of new investments, primarily focused on private direct and co‐investment
opportunities. The Investment Analyst participates in and documents meetings that occur internally or
with external managers and service providers. The position also supports the ongoing monitoring of
existing investments and external investment managers. The Investment Analyst supports internal and
external investment reporting including, but not limited to, performance evaluation, asset allocation,
portfolio analytics, and cash flow projections. Additionally, this position assists and/or backs up senior
members of the investment team in a variety of internal portfolio management and external investment
The ideal candidate values being part of a mission‐drive organization and prefers working in a small,
collaborative, and entrepreneurial environment. UMFIA is a place where a candidate with an aptitude
for identifying, investigating and solving problems with diligence, and an affinity for prioritizing team
success can thrive. The ideal candidate is also inquisitive and enjoys learning through reading,
developing new relationships, and through trial and error.
The Investment Analyst Position reports directly to a senior member of the investment team and works
collaboratively with both the investment and operations teams. UMFIA is a flat organization. The ideal
candidate requires less supervision and values their increased involvement in the decision‐making
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support investment initiatives and processes
- Assists with sourcing of new investment opportunities
- External investment managers
- Direct investments
- Assists in due diligence and/or underwriting
- Modeling of cash flows, returns, structure,
- Reference checks and third party validation
- Document review for key investment terms
- Documents internal and external meetings and records the notes in a contact relationship management system
- Assist in the creation of investment recommendation memos
- Monitoring ongoing existing investment performance
Analytical Support (10%)
- Gathers, organizes and presents relevant data and analyzes as needed
- Create reports, graphics, and financial models
- Assists in the evaluation of investment transactions
- Maintains internal investment dashboards
- Supports quarterly investment reporting process and makes any recommendations for process improvements.
Quality assurance (in collaboration with operations team) (10%)
- Assists with data acquisition and database management
- Assists with investment documentation and checklist completion
- Assists in operational due diligence of external managers
- Assists in preparing information for the annual financial audit
- Bachelor’s degree from an academically rigorous institution
- Zero to five years of related work experience
- Knowledge of basic investment concepts and quantitative methods
- Ability to gather, organize and present data in a concise and meaningful way via creation of reports, graphics, and financial models Excel
- Experience with a Windows PC environment and with Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem‐solving skills
- Strong accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and function independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize workflow and meet project deadlines
- Ability to handle information with discretion and confidentiality and comply with internal policies and procedures
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an equitable and inclusive working and learning environment (exhibit 100% of the time)
- At least one year of investment experience.
- Credit analysis and/or direct investment underwriting experience.
- CFA charterholder or progress towards becoming one.
A competitive base salary and annual incentive award are commensurate with experience and earnings
history. UMFIA provides a strong benefits package.
This is a typical office environment in which employees use office equipment like personal computers,
fax machines, copiers, telephones; stand or sit at a desk for long periods of time (2‐3) hours; may need
to lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 25 lbs.); and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Occasional travel is required.
Background Check Requirement:
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our
presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not
automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to submit resume is August 20, 2021.
The University of Minnesota Foundation Investment Advisors is an equal opportunity employer without
regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public
assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Indigenous, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+, gender nonconforming and members of
other historically underrepresented communities are highly encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Investment Advisor/Consultant Consulting Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Performance Analysis Consulting Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Consulting Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Relationship Management Consulting Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Risk Management Consulting Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors