Are you looking to join a dynamic pension plan that embodies the strong values of its 500,000 members and is an industry leading global investor? If so, we would love to tell you our story.
At OMERS we put our people first and are proud to embrace the diversity of thought and leadership that comes from having locations in Toronto, London, New York, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe. Our culture is truly one of a kind. We get stuff done, and have fun doing it! We take great pride in contributing to the communities where we live with an ever-constant eye to the global investment markets.
OMERS Capital Markets is building out its Asia Pacific investment capability out of the OMERS Singapore office. OMERS Capital Markets will invest in both developed and developing markets of Asia and across the entire capital structure. We will invest in public and private markets as well as partner and co-invest with third party fund managers.
As a member of the Capital Markets Asia Pacific team and reporting to the Managing Director, Capital Markets Asia Pacific, the Sr. Analyst/Principal position is a research role. It is tasked with enabling the team to deliver absolute return performance by investing in equities and fixed income securities in the Asia Pacific region. Key responsibilities and contributions are centered around forensic and fundamental investment research. The Sr. Analyst/Principal will be intellectually curious and a life-long learner who has a strong technical experience conducting industry and company analysis, modelling and valuation.
We welcome a strong team player to be part of a collaborative team culture that cherishes mutual respect and cognitive diversity. We value curiosity, candor and contrarian thinking. Our focus is investment results, our mission is to help secure the financial future for the beneficiaries of our pension plan. We strive to offer a wholesome and fulfilling career to our employees.
As a member of the Capital Markets team, you will:
• Have research responsibility and accountability for assigned sectors and markets
• Implement the OMERS Capital Markets investment process focused on long term investment results
• Conduct comprehensive industry research and analysis. Develop a deep understanding of secular trends as well as structural changes and their impact on the industry and the companies we invest in
• Focus on forensic fundamental company analysis, develop financial models, and perform valuation analysis.
• Present and defend investment recommendations to the team articulating drivers of intrinsic value.
• Monitor securities held in OMERS Capital Market portfolios
• Participate in, contribute to and encourage healthy and robust investment debate and challenge of investment ideas
• Collaborate with OMERS investment teams and offices globally and help institutionalize knowledge
• Foster relationships with corporate management teams and other market participants
• At least 7 + years of experience in research in the Asia Pacific region
• Fluent in spoken and written English and Mandarin
• University degree in economics, business, quantitative or computer science related discipline
• Chartered Financial Analyst or commitment to completing the program
• Excellent analytical skills with an ability to generate deep insights
• Intellectual curiosity and deep comfort with robust debate and challenge
• Ability to articulate clear, logical, convincing arguments and explain complex ideas simply
• Action-oriented and proactive with a high degree of initiative
• Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills, both verbal and written
• Understanding of operating environment in Asia / relevant experience will be an added advantage
• Effective team player with a collaborative attitude
• Impeccable integrity
Founded in 1962, OMERS is one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, with $105 billion in net assets as at December 31, 2020. OMERS is a jointly-sponsored pension plan, with 1,000 participating employers ranging from large cities to local agencies, and over half a million active, deferred and retired members. OMERS members include union and non-union employees of municipalities, school boards, local boards, transit systems, electrical utilities, emergency services and children’s aid societies across Ontario. Contributions to the Plan are funded equally by members and employers. OMERS teams work in Toronto, London, New York, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Singapore, Sydney and other major cities across North America and Europe – serving members and employers and originating and managing a diversified portfolio of high-quality investments in public markets, private equity, infrastructure and real estate.
OMERS is committed to having a workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At OMERS inclusion and diversity means belonging. How we create a sense of belonging is through our employees and our vast network of Employee Resource Groups. Whether you are passionate about gender, pride, or visible minorities, we have groups that are focused on making a difference in all of our lives.