Senior Vice President, Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and Chief Economist
Moody National Bank provides excellent employment opportunities for individuals seeking to team up with a solid leader of financial services for the communities we serve. If you have an interest in joining a stable, competitively advantaged banking team you should consider Moody National Bank.
Senior Vice President, Chief Investment Officer (CIO) and Chief Economist
Reporting to Director of Wealth Management and Trust, the Chief Investment Officer and Chief Economist will be responsible for oversight of all matters related to the Investment Management Department of the WM&T Division of Moody Bank (*while this position is being newly created and the Investment Management Department currently does not have a staff, this position will lead said department if and when it adds investment staff.) This position will assume primary responsibilities for overall client satisfaction as the investment manager by collaborating with the service team and appropriate resources to ensure timely delivery of high-quality investment service, issue resolution, effective communication of client needs to partner, and development of investment relationship with client.
correspondence must refer to a specific job number
Duties and Responsibilities:
CIO Role: Responsible for oversight of all matters related to the Investment Management Department of the WM&T Division of Moody Bank (*while this position is being newly created and the Investment Management Department currently does not have a staff, this position will lead said department if and when it adds investment staff), including but not limited to:
- The Investment Process including initiatives and processes related to investment portfolio management, use of capital market assumptions, development of strategic asset allocations, investment manager selection and due diligence, portfolio construction, portfolio rebalancing, and performance measurement, attribution, and reporting.
- Business development support to Wealth Advisors as subject matter expert (SME) for investments, markets and the economy, support client retention and new business development, conduct client seminars and webinars.
- Preparation of content for investment marketing materials.
- Participate in the WM&T strategic planning and decision-making for WM&T.
- Actively maintain media presence, including TV, radio, and print.
- Perform investment research and stay current on developments impacting the capital markets.
- Write original research and commentary on the capital markets, investment strategies and the economy.
- Ensure investment department compliance with all regulatory and legal obligations.
- Lead and manage the Investment Management Department of the WM&T Division of Moody.
- Teaches and mentors those with less experience.
- Work collaboratively with direct reports in identifying client needs and goals and developing advice-driven solutions for clients.
- Work with direct reports in the setting of goals and annual performance expectations and in providing ongoing and constructive feedback, coaching and training to ensure the performance standards required by the position are met.
- Shows a commitment to developing their own personal managerial skill set and demonstrates a fair and equitable approach in recognizing, rewarding, and developing each partner, supporting, and mentoring them in achieving their career aspirations.
- Participates in hiring process for investment/portfolio managers and support staff for the Investment Management Department; provides feedback for annual review and compensation discussions of investment managers with input based on evaluation of subject matter expertise and compliance with best fiduciary practices; investment managers in development plan design and implementation.
- Organizes the work of the team, assigns tasks, sets short-term priorities, monitors all activities, and ensures timely and accurate completion of the work.
- Conducts performance management and career development processes and staffing and disciplinary actions.
Account Investment/Portfolio Management: The CIO assumes primary responsibility for overall client satisfaction as the investment manager by collaborating with the service team and appropriate resources to ensure timely delivery of high-quality investment service, issue resolution, effective communication of client needs to partners, and development of investment relationship with client.
- Manages investments for assigned account base of WM&T clients by working with clients and their professional advisors to develop a thorough understanding of the client’s needs and goals.
- Exhibits working knowledge of governing documents and account agreements.
- Exhibits knowledge of asset management, investment duties and prudent investment principals, and general knowledge of trust and tax law, estate planning techniques, financial planning.
- Seeks continued development of investment and advisory skills through training and experience.
- Guides client conversations for purpose driven wealth management.
- Provides proactive advice to clients on products/services, emerging issues, regulatory/tax changes, and appropriate actions for the client.
- Combines technical knowledge with fact finding and analysis to develop advice-driven solutions for clients.
- Explains complicated concepts to clients in a thoughtful way using non-technical terminology.
- Maintains current in-depth knowledge of a full range of investment-oriented services.
- Focused client service with responsiveness, diplomacy, and tact; proactive client contact through written and verbal communication with suitable frequency. Exhibits excellent time management skills.
- Builds and maintains knowledge of investment standards and practices, applies investment knowledge and judgment to fiduciary relationships. Understands and complies with internal policies, processes, and procedures to effect prudent risk management and judgment. Recognizes fiduciary risk issues and seeks appropriate resolution.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely internally with MNB WM&T employees and externally with OCC and other regulators.
- Internally with audit, risk management, HR, and finance.
- Assist MNB WM&T Director and WM&T Senior Fiduciary Officer with reporting of budget, variance reports, and other reviews/summaries to board, execs, owners, employees.
- Assist Senior Fiduciary Officer in management of expense reports in MNB WM&T to ensure adherence to budget.
- Participate in marketing events hosted by MNB WM&T.
- Participate in Board meetings.
- Participate in Officer meetings.
- Maintain an awareness of federal and state laws and regulations, and bank policies and procedures, pertaining to the investment of trust funds.
- Serve on Board Trust committee as assigned and perform other duties as assigned.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a business-related discipline preferred such as an MBA and/or MSF.
- 15+ years’ experience successfully working in senior-level investment management roles withing a wealth management organization.
Skills and Abilities:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) professional designation is required.
- Additional related professional designations are a plus (i.e.: CFP, CIPM, CAIA). Competent with business productivity software tools and financial software tools (i.e.: Bloomberg, FactSet, Morningstar Direct, etc.).
- Extensive and technical knowledge of investment strategies, investment solutions, investment products, and the wealth management industry, including trust and fiduciary services usually acquired through related work experience and formal education, is required to manage client accounts, and oversee an investment department.
- Extensive and technical knowledge of investments, tax, legal, and operations usually acquired through formal education or related experience is required to service clients.
- Knowledge of fiduciary standards, principles, and applicable laws and regulations usually acquired through training, seminars, and experience is required to administer accounts.
- Skills in analyzing, negotiating, problem solving, delegating, leadership, and sales are necessary to service the client relationships.
- Ability to deliver quality, detail-oriented investment and market analysis and proposals, as well as, economic updates.
- Leadership, organizations, and analytical skills are required to work collaboratively with the Director of WM&T and other divisional colleagues to meet and exceed Division goals.
- Verbal and written communication skills that require a professional and courteous manner when dealing with all types of clients, prospective clients, professionals, committees, associations, and the media is required.
- Must also work well with customers and staff, be very detail oriented and be a self-starter.
- Ability to travel throughout Galveston, Houston, Austin, and south-central Texas regions.
Moody Bank offers a benefit package that includes: Medical, Life, Dental and Vision insurance; 401k Plan; Vacation and Sick leave benefits and more.
Due to the high volume of interest, the Bank does not respond to the submission of every resume.
In addition, submission of your resume to this website does not constitute the completion of an Employment Application.
The Bank requires completion of an MNB employment application for each position opening. Individuals who the Bank determines to be the best qualified for the position openings are contacted to begin the application process.
Moody Bank is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.