Analyst - Front Office Solutions
Analyst, Front Office Solutions
Front Office Solutions
Front Office Solutions is a new strategic business for Northern Trust that provides a holistic digital+ service offering for some of the most sophisticated institutional investors across the globe, including foundations, endowments, pension funds, corporations, insurance companies, and sovereign wealth funds. As asset owners engage in more complex, data-driven investment approaches to asset allocation, their operational needs and demands for high quality data have skyrocketed. Front Office Solutions provides a holistic, full-service, multi-asset solution that aims to empower in-house investment teams and support their important mission by providing a more comprehensive set of operational services and analytics including portfolio management, investment decision support, operational risk management, CRM/document management and workflow tools
Under general supervision, the Analyst will be responsible for investment data management that will provide clients with the holistic data sets they need to fulfil their various stakeholder requirements. The Analyst will assist in researching solutions for data challenges for institutional clients.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Acts as point of initial entry for all investment data. Includes entry of (but not limited to):
- Investment transactions (typically statement-based for alternative assets; file-based for public markets)
- Investment valuations (typically statement-based for alternative assets; file-based for public markets)
- Manager estimates
- Plan income / Expense items
- Plan contributions / Spending withdrawals
- Underlying manager exposure data
- Benchmark data
- Responsible for preparing all investment reconciliations. Includes reconciliation of cash, positions, performance, transactions, alternative investment metrics (unfunded commitment, etc.).
- Import, normalize, and analyse large amount of historical data sets from multiple systems into FOS technology platform.
- Responsible for initial review of NAV, allocation and underlying client performance for alternative investments.
- Serves as initial reviewer of investment and composite performance calculations, including time weighted return and IRR calculations.
- Serves as initial reviewer of single, conventional and blended benchmark calculations.
- Responsible for the input of all historic data entry and initial preparation of all reconciliations during client onboarding.
- Able to assist in training FOS partners in specific areas of expertise.
- Participates in on-going process improvements based on specialised skills, knowledge, and experience.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Basic knowledge of the investment industry, including markets and instruments.
- Basic investment concepts knowledge: IRR, time-weighted return, NAVs, accruals, etc.
- Basic investment operations knowledge: hedge fund accounting, private equity funds, performance reporting, etc.
- Basic alternative asset class knowledge: hedge funds, private equity, non-marketable securities, marketable securities, etc.
- Advanced understanding of Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint), with particular emphasis on Excel.
- Understanding of instances when performance issues need to be escalated to a supervisor.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and perform effectively under deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple concurrent projects and to reconcile any conflicting priorities.
- Commitment to project success as it may require working unconventional hours during critical project phase.
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Functional /industry knowledge of and experience with complex asset allocators such as endowments, foundations, family offices, institutional asset managers, pension funds or sovereign wealth funds.
- Work experience in one of the following
- Alternative asset operations
- Performance measurement
- Investment accounting (analytics, reporting, etc.)
- Technical skills / systems knowledge (investment administration & portfolio analytics platforms).
- Experience using VBA, Python or other programming language to format large data sets.
- Orientation to operational process improvement.
- Client servicing experience
- Ability to work closely and collaborate with internal stakeholders.
- College or University degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting, Mathematics, Economics or a related field
- Interest in pursuing: CFA, CAIA, CIPM, CPA, MBA.
- Genuine desire and capability to work in a fast-paced, professional, inclusive environment which requires teamwork, well-honed problem-solving skills, frequent re-prioritization, deadline management, ongoing and comprehensive communication, constant attention to detail, and a commitment to continuous improvement and best practices.
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine,
- Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.