Be Boring. Make Money.™ is our investment approach, but we are anything but dull. We are a diverse team of professionals—all with a shared goal: to be the best.
We celebrate our unique and independent culture. We take pride in doing things a little differently than other investment firms. Our pursuit of excellence means that a career with Mawer is demanding, however, interesting challenges are plentiful, and innovative ideas, diverse opinions, and teamwork are expected and rewarded regardless of title or tenure.
We are seeking an exceptional colleague to join our investment research team. We look for self-motivated individuals willing and able to enhance our trading processes, strengthen our culture, and help build Mawer into one of the best global investment management firms.
- Work alongside our North American and European equity traders to execute trades for all North and South American markets and back up EMEA trading during live EMEA trading hours. Advise on liquidity, impact, and strategy for trade implementation throughout the duration of trades.
- Data science/development of trading tools. This is a new focus within the trading team and there will be some entrepreneurial opportunities to help build and shape this portion of the role over time.
- Work closely with Mawer’s Lab to automate and improve current processes and help the trading desk improve on its calibration culture and improve its use of data. (The Lab is a technology infrastructure group within Mawer’s research team that uses technology to assist in the firm’s investment process.)
- Integrate with the rest of our research team, which is mostly located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. This does require some travel to Calgary.
- Work closely with the rest trading team based in Singapore to prepare daily market notes for the firm, participate in weekly meetings, and become a seamless part of moving information around the globe to best prepare our team for daily and ongoing excellence.
- Understand and communicate basic, fundamental equity analysis on our global holdings to the research team in a timely and effective manner as well as communicate macroeconomic activity that may have an impact on current or future performance.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with our global broker network along with other counterparties and educate them on Mawer, our investment philosophy, and trading strategy.
- Liaise with operations to ensure timely settlement of all global equity trades and become an operational expert.
- Learn/understand global market trading rules and reporting requirements and look for ways to improve our processes.
Education & Skills
- Passion for trading and investing
- Data science (statistics, Python, R, Matlab, SQL or similar)
- Software development (C#, Java or similar)
- CFA qualification or a willingness to enroll in the program
- Detail oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Independently motivated
- Recent graduate to 5 years of trading experience
- Track record of excellence
- Market structure knowledge in Europe and North America would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of electronic trading providers, the strategies and how they interact with the individual markets considered an asset
- Desire for self-improvement with a competitive and winning attitude
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours trading as required
- Must be willing and able to travel as required
- Directly contribute to the firm’s growth as a global investment manager
- Learn and work alongside high-performing individuals, within a team that has consistently delivered exceptional long-term investment results
- Be a part of a meritocracy in which the quality of ideas supersedes hierarchy
- The potential for equity ownership over time based on the firm’s selection criteria
- Our strong culture that emphasizes candour, intellectual curiosity, continuous learning, excellence and teamwork
- Career development opportunities
- Comprehensive benefits package
How to apply
If this sounds of great interest to you, please apply now. Applicants should provide one PDF including a résumé (no cover letters please), most recent university transcripts, and a response to each of the following questions (maximum one page):
- Imagine yourself 10 years from now (or longer if you prefer) and that you’ve accomplished all your life’s goals over this time frame. Describe the scene. What have you achieved and what makes it ideal?
- In what area(s) of your life have you demonstrated a track record of excellence outside of academics? Please provide examples of you demonstrating tenacity to achieve these goals.
- Tell us about your best negotiation/trade (doesn’t have to be stock market related). What were the circumstances, what was the outcome, and what did you learn?
Apply online: https://www.mawer.com/careers
Deadline: July 4th, 11:59pm
Only applications that include all required materials will be considered.
Established in 1974, Mawer Investment Management Ltd. is an independent firm that provides investment management services across all major asset classes to a broad range of institutional and individual clients. We are proud of our reputation as one of Canada’s most respected investment management firms, and strive to continually deliver long-term investment excellence, build strong client partnerships, and live our core values. Mawer currently manages approximately $65 billion (USD) in assets and employs over 200 people in Calgary, Toronto, the U.S., and Singapore.
No telephone inquiries please.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.