Research Associate - U.S. Technology Sector
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE - U.S. TECHNOLOGY SECTOR
William Blair Investment Management is a premier global investment management boutique, with a sole focus on active management across equity, fixed income, currency and multi-asset strategies. We are committed to building enduring relationships with our clients and providing expertise and solutions to meet their evolving needs. We work closely with the most sophisticated investors globally across institutional and intermediary channels, including consultants, private and public pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations, sovereign wealth funds, and financial advisors. We are a U.N.-Supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Signatory, Tier-1 U.K. Stewardship Signatory, Investor Stewardship Group Member (Framework for U.S. Stewardship and Governance), and Signatory to the Japan and Korea Stewardship Codes. We are based in Chicago with resources in New York, London, Zurich, Sydney, Stockholm, The Hague, and Singapore, and dedicated coverage for Canada.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
William Blair’s buy-side research team is responsible for identifying quality growth companies that will generate above-average results for clients over time with generally less risk than the market. The team identifies these companies through a combination of rigorous fundamental research and systematic inputs, following a disciplined process that emphasizes team collaboration.
JOB SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop detailed knowledge of assigned industry and companies and keep abreast of related market developments and news.
- Gather and analyze research data related to targeted industry and companies, and maintain accurate, current research databases. Conduct research analyses on targeted companies, including analysis of financial performance, competitive industry positioning, quality of company management, etc.
- Analyze market sectors and trends and conduct financial and accounting statement analyses.
- Develop and maintain financial models for revenue and income forecasts, cash flow analysis, balance sheet and quarterly projections.
- Prepare industry and company reports, presentations and exhibits to summarize research findings for Research teams.
- Host meetings with company executives, sell-side brokers, and third-party research providers.
- Document and maintain information for analysis activities.
- Assist Research Analysts in identifying and formulating new investment ideas for Portfolio Managers, and recommending securities and companies in one or more industry groups targeted to follow.
- Ensure all work activities are in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Additional responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; concentration in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- At least 5 years of related work experience in investment research or financial services highly preferred.
- MBA or CFA preferred.
- Strong financial analysis and accounting statement analysis skills.
- Knowledge of data gathering and analysis best practices and methodologies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of investment concepts and products.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with investment and research teams.
- Ability to work independently in support of team goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and industry standard data sources.
William Blair is an equal opportunity employer. It complies with all laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in employment practice because of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, marital status, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, unfavorable discharge from the military service or on the basis of a physical or mental disability that is unrelated to the employee's ability to perform the duties of the job applied for.