Director of Risk Analytics & Systems
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With more than $140 billion in total assets under management, SWIB is one of the world’s largest institutional investors. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 8th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and the 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB is recognized as a premier investment manager because of the highly qualified staff successfully managing the assets of the WRS trust funds. SWIB is committed to investing in talented professionals that will help implement a robust and sophisticated investment strategy to manage over half of the trust fund assets internally and keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities to help staff sharpen and expand their skills. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB’s investment professionals are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
Our Risk Management Division will assess, evaluate, and monitor both Investment Risk and Enterprise Risk, and establish dashboards of key risk metrics to guide our Executive Director/Chief Investment Officer (ED/CIO). This division will report directly to our ED/CIO and will initially be comprised of a team of four individuals, including the Head of Risk Management. The team is responsible, through strong collaboration, for assessing, monitoring, and evaluating risks throughout the organization.
SWIB’s Director of Risk Analytics & Systems (“RAS”) will report directly to the Head of Risk Management and will establish and lead a team of analysts and quants to develop SWIB’s Risk Management analytics, systems, and quantitative models. The RAS team is tasked with the integration of third-party risk systems; the development and reporting of all investment risk metrics and measures; and the development of all quantitative and analytical risk models in support of all other Risk Management functions.
Integrating risk systems, risk reporting, data management, rapid analysis on data issues, advanced data manipulation, and modeling skills, knowledge of SQL, Python, VBA, C++, etc.
- Data management
- Python/ C++/VBA programming experience
- PowerBI (or some equivalent BI tool such as Tableau)
- MSCI Risk Manager, MSCI BarraOne, FactSet, Bloomberg working knowledge is desirable
- SQL querying
- ETL (Extract Transform load) exposure
- Python data science experience
Financial Knowledge recommended but candidates in other industries highly recommended to apply:
- Understanding of multi-asset products is desirable
- Comprehension of quantitative risk modeling is desirable
- Exposure to the investment management lifecycle is desirable
The ideal candidate:
- Advanced Degree in quantitative finance, or another related field, CFA and/or FRM, etc.
- Minimum five-years’ experience in managing a team of technical and quantitative analysts.
- 5-10 years’ experience in data analytics, or related quantitative fields as it applies to risk management or middle office investment support of analytics and systems.
- Quantitative financial modeling in market, investment, or credit risk is desirable but not necessary, with some knowledge of factor risk analysis.
- Experience in working with/understanding the various lifecycles of data management, extraction, loading, transformation to its applications in risk measurement and reporting.
- Extensive knowledge in composing SQL queries, data modeling experience working with large structured and financial data sets.
- Ability to tactically understand results in context (i.e. when does something look wrong), and strategically how to resolve those issues via data quality and rule-based analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to be adaptive and thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
- Competitive McLagan-base salary
- Meaningful performance-based incentive compensation
- A comprehensive benefit package
- Educational and training opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization and residency in, or willingness to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. SWIB is prepared to offer relocation assistance as needed.