Position: Portfolio Manager
Reports to: Chief Investment Officer
TRAF is looking for an individual to join its investment team as a Portfolio Manager. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to the diligence and monitoring of TRAF’s investment manager relationships engaged to directly manage TRAF’s portfolio.
Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer, the successful candidate will play an integral role in investment analysis, portfolio monitoring and investment operations. The position is best suited for a talented individual with the skill, desire and passion to produce positive results.
Based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Teachers’ Retirement Allowances Fund (TRAF) administers and manages the pension plan for approximately 40,000 active, former and retired public school teachers in the Manitoba public school system. Currently, the investment portfolio is approximately $7.5 billion. We focus on the long-term sustainability of the pension plan and invest the plan’s assets in a diversified portfolio of public and private investments, including alternative asset classes such as real estate, private equity, private debt and infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain a long-term strategy for certain asset class mandates, which may include both public and private market investments
- Lead the selection of external investment managers for specific mandates
- Source and assess co-investment opportunities with investment managers
- Assume responsibility for monitoring and reporting on certain investments
- Research and recommend any changes to the SIP&P and other investment policies
- Contribute to other investment-related decisions as a member of the Internal Investment Committee
- Able to review and assess a variety of investment opportunities
- Experience evaluating private market investments
- High level of ethics and integrity, with a strong conviction for fulfilling fiduciary standards
- Understanding of the various risks specific to pension plans
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written form, including experience presenting investment recommendations to a board or investment committee
- Self-motivated individual who can take initiative and work independently with limited oversight
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Willing and able to travel
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the investment industry, preferably with a pension fund or similar asset owner, or in a pension consulting role
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or business administration
- Completion of the CFA program
- Completion of other industry designations (e.g., CPA, CAIA, FRM, etc.) would be considered an asset
- Completion of one or more courses from the Institute of Limited Partners Association (ILPA) Institute would be considered an asset
- A competitive compensation package will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications.
How to apply
TRAF is committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. In addition, all applicants may request reasonable accommodation under The Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA), which will be provided throughout the recruitment process.
TRAF offers excellent working conditions, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. For additional information about TRAF and the position, a detailed briefing is available on request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Portfolio Manager” by June 30, 2021.
While all applicants will be considered, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about TRAF, please visit www.traf.mb.ca.