Senior Trader Analyst
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
What you will do
The Financial Markets Department is currently seeking a Senior Trader Analyst for their trading room in the Market Analysis and Operations Division (MAO).
The MAO division is responsible for designing, implementing and executing the Bank’s domestic and foreign exchange market operations. The team leverages its unique blend of market expertise, operational know-how and relationships with counterparties and stakeholders to produce high quality market analysis and policy advice. MAO leads and collaborates on operational and policy priorities across the Bank’s core functions and is responsible for identifying, developing and promoting innovative initiatives that support market best-practice and an efficient Canadian financial system. The team also plays a key role in the Bank’s publication of the Canadian Overnight Repo Rate Average. MAO also works closely with other teams at the Bank and at the Department of Finance in the execution of the federal government’s debt strategy in support of the Bank’s fiscal agent responsibilities.
MAO is organized into operational sections that focus on its primary market operations: money markets, bonds and foreign exchange. Foreign exchange operations typically consist of foreign exchange forwards and swaps. Fixed income and money market operations include repo transactions, asset purchase operations, for managing the Bank’s balance sheet and for monetary policy implementation, bond buybacks and switches as fiscal agent for the Government of Canada, and securities lending operations.
As a Senior Trader Analyst on the trading floor, you will:
- Execute, analyze and report on market operations
- Conduct analysis on initiatives that support market best practice and promote an efficient Canadian financial system
- Provide policy advice to senior management and to committees co-chaired by the Bank and the Department of Finance from a financial market functioning and operational perspective
- Provide briefings to management by synthesizing market developments and assessing the impact for policy-makers, both orally and in writing.
You will have to work closely with your colleagues in Ottawa and Calgary. You must be able to travel as necessary and demonstrate an interest in professional development which includes cross training in different operations.
What you need to succeed
You are familiar with or have the ability to learn and use analytic and information tools such as Bloomberg, Reuters, spreadsheets and straight-through processing systems. You have strong analytic skills, bringing a wide range of considerations and perspectives to issues and identifying ways to improve upon previous efforts, and are committed to learning and self-development.
You have knowledge of the following:
- global foreign exchange markets, specific trading instruments and foreign exchange hedging strategies
- global fixed-income, funding, equity and commodity markets
- Canadian financial system issues and developments, central banking and of economic/financial theory and quantitative methods
And you also have the ability to:
- contribute to team objectives by sharing ideas, knowledge and feedback
- collaborate and be a team player
- multi-task, in co-operation with other team members, maintaining accuracy and speed while meeting deadlines
- communicate clearly, accurately and concisely with clients, internal staff and external market contacts, at times under pressure
- write and present effectively, adapting style and content to the target audience
- maintain high ethical and professional standards
- experience with policy and quantitative analysis
- prior trading floor/market experience in a large financial institution
- completion of, or enrolment in, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Program or similar programs
Your education and experience
This position requires a master’s degree in finance or economics with a minimum of 4 years of recent relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
What you need to know
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- This is considered an essential position, as such, the selected candidate will need to work onsite
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted virtually.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career. For more information on key benefits please visit A great deal to consider.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $94,700 to $118,300 (job grade 17)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension
We strive to make our policies, programs and workplace more inclusive, respectful and barrier-free. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples, veterans, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions.