Equity Research Associate
We’re a high-growth equity research financial-technology start-up that serves some of the world’s top asset managers – and we’re looking for exceptional Equity Research Associates to help us build and grow the new “need to have” financial modeling platform for buyside professionals.
Canalyst is changing the way investment professionals’ access and use fundamental models. Our financial model library allows fund managers and analysts to transform their investment process, enabling them to be nimbler, expand their coverage, and ultimately generate higher-conviction ideas. Clients trust us to provide timely and accurate models along with an unparalleled level of customer service.
We are looking for Equity Research Associates with a passion for Equity Research. Our ideal candidate has a solid capital markets foundation or deep subject matter expertise in a particular sector and is looking to make the jump to Equity Research.
How you’ll contribute:
- Create detailed financial models on new coverage
- Maintain sector or subsector-specific models on an existing area of coverage
- Conduct historical financial statement analysis and future period forecasting
- Interact with our buyside and sellside clients on company-specific questions and requests
- Provide general research and other company/industry due diligence
- At least one year of relevant experience in equity research or equivalent education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance and/or your sector
- Intense curiosity about both individual equities and the capital markets in general
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Highly team-oriented
- High integrity
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to deliver under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- Knowledge of VBA an asset
- Completion or progress towards a CFA or similar designation an asset
- Strong financial modelling skills an asset
- Leadership experience an asset
To strengthen your application, you have the option to answer either or both of the following questions (max one page per question):
- Pitch an investment idea. Your idea can be on any asset class, in any direction (long or short), and on any time horizon. It can also be a portfolio of different positions.
- Explain, in detail, an industry trend or structure that can potentially lead to an investable idea. Please quantify the opportunity as much as possible, particularly vs. current market expectations.
By bringing equity research and technology together, Canalyst makes generating independent research more efficient and helps generate higher-conviction investment ideas. We’re an energetic team with a healthy obsession with accuracy and a love of stocks and technology. If this sounds like a good fit for your goals, skills, and experience, we’d love to hear from you!
COVID-19 UPDATE: Please note that all Canalyst employees are working remotely for the time being due to COVID-19, as the health & safety of our employees and their families is extremely important to us. Due to this, we’re currently having all new hires begin work with us remotely rather than in our office locations.