Associate, Private Debt
Associate, Private Debt
At Nicola Wealth, our clients deserve the best. The same goes for our people. We invest in our employees in order to support our business through a period of significant growth.
By bringing together smart, dedicated, high caliber colleagues from diverse backgrounds, we deliver extraordinary client service in a truly dynamic work environment. The collaboration, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit we were founded on provides the opportunity for incoming employees to make a real impact. We are passionate about our business and our culture, and are looking to attract, retain and develop individuals who have that same drive.
We take pride in our work and are trusted advisors to our clients. We are looking for talented, highly motivated individuals with exceptional experience who can embody our culture and values as a creative, collaborative and hard-working organization.
About Nicola Private Debt
The Nicola Private Debt Fund (the “Fund”) combines a fund-of-funds approach and direct lending in mid-market private debt opportunities to target an attractive premium above public market fixed income yields and returns.
Our direct lending mandate targets opportunities to lend to mature and profitable mid-market companies based primarily in Canada that require secured senior, mezzanine or convertible debt financing for growth, acquisitions, ownership transition, or bridge financing. The Fund is also an active investor and co-investor with top performing North American and European private debt funds with varying strategies. As of March 31, 2021 the Fund’s assets under management reached $351.4 million.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a commitment to excellence and experience in financial analysis, due diligence and mid-market lending to join our growing private debt team.
Reporting to the Portfolio Manager, the Associate will play a key role in investing and managing the Nicola Private Debt Fund to generate strong investment returns for Nicola Wealth clients. The Associate will primarily assist with the assessment, analysis, due diligence, and execution of new fund investments, co-investments and direct loans.
The successful candidate may also get the opportunity to work on new investments made by our Private Equity, Infrastructure and Mortgage Funds.
The Associate, Private Debt’s main responsibilities will include:
• Evaluating and screening new investment opportunities
• Completing due diligence on potential investments including:
o Financial statement review
o Borrower, industry, structure and portfolio risk analysis
o Detailed financial model review and analysis
o Detailed documentation review, including credit agreements,
key contracts, external reports
o Working with key advisors (legal, tax, technical) to understand key risks and mitigating factors
• Preparing pitch decks for new direct loan opportunities
• Preparing investment memos for the investment committee
• Monitoring the performance of existing investments in the Fund
• Developing and maintaining effective relationships with existing partners, potential partners, and market participants (bankers, lawyers, accountants)
• Actively engaging in ongoing learning and development to continuously improve skills and knowledge
• You have a professional demeanor with the ability to build trust with our people and partners.
• You are collaborative and team focused, with the ability to function in a team.
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• You have well-developed organizational and time management skills.
• You are calm and collaborative under pressure.
The Associate, Private Debt’s skills and qualifications should include:
• A minimum of 3 years experience in commercial, corporate and/or mezzanine lending at a financial institution or private credit fund
• Undergraduate or Graduate degree in business/accounting/finance
• Proven credit due diligence, underwriting and financial modeling skills
• Ability to function in a team environment
• Mid-market mezzanine lending, corporate finance or M&A experience considered an asset
• CFA, CA, CPA, MBA, or CBV considered an asset
• You are legally eligible to work in Canada for any employer
Supporting our people during COVID-19
• We offer virtual leadership programs and coaching sessions for our people leaders
• We offer a “Nicola Health” resources site to support mental, physical and emotional health
• We provide computer equipment to help you with your home setup
• We offer virtual onboarding through Dayforce, where you will have access to:
o An Executive welcome message from the Senior Leadership Team
o Videos on culture
o Photos and bios of your team
o Introduction to your peer mentor/buddy with photos
o Workforce handbook and new hire forms reviewed and sign
from the comfort of your home
o Regular calls with a member of the people and culture team to
Include a Cover Letter and Resume in your application. For more information about this and other roles: www.nicolawealth.com.
Thank you for your interest in this position. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer.