Index Equity Portfolio Manager
With over $600B in Equity Index assets under management, Northern Trust Asset Management is a top 5 largest equity index manager in the U.S. and Europe and a global leader in equity indexing. We have a long, consistent track record tested over decades and market cycles. Our US Index Equities team is looking for an Index Equity Portfolio Manager that will manage equity index funds and client portfolios to achieve stated performance objectives while mitigating operational risk. They will need to have a thorough understanding of market trends and developments and will assist with the continued growth of Northern Trust’s equity index asset management business.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages equity index funds and/or client portfolios within expected risk limits and achieves performance consistent with stated client objectives.
- Ensures that portfolios are maintained within investment guidelines and that they do not violate applicable government and industry regulations and trends.
- Ensures that securities held in portfolios are appropriate for the goals of the client and monitors results for consistency.
- Researches and implements sophisticated trading strategies to maximize investor wealth.
- Uses systems to rebalance funds as needed, to invest cash and to accommodate contributions/withdrawals.
- Maintains knowledge of financial markets, regulatory developments and the evolving index landscape.
- Engages with clients and prospects to represent our investment process, philosophy and performance.
- Identifies opportunities to improve efficiency and mitigate operational risk.
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of modern portfolio management theory and applications.
- Knowledge of securities markets acquired through work experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound business judgement
- Strong, demonstrated skills in oral and written communication
- Demonstrated teamwork and interpersonal skills exemplified by the ability to forge strong relationships with internal and external partners (i.e. sales, client servicing, technology, performance analysis, back office, etc.)
- Results-oriented with attention to detail and strong analytical skills
- Self-starter with a proven ability to manage workflow across cross-functional teams under multiple competing deadlines
Necessary Experience and Education
- 3-6 years of index equity portfolio management experience
- Experience as an ETF Portfolio Manager is a plus
- Experience working with Aladdin
- Bachelor's degree required
- MBA and/or CFA preferred