About the Position
The Atlanta Consulting team is responsible for working directly with institutional plan sponsors and asset owners. Clients represent a broad cross-section of public, corporate, non-profit and multi-employer pools of assets. The Atlanta team works closely with Callan’s specialty research groups and clients to provide asset allocation, implementation advice, manager search and monitoring services to institutional investors.
What’s unique about this role?
Callan is seeking a professional with a passion for helping clients solve complex problems, a team orientation, strong organizational skills, and an enthusiasm for consulting to the highest quality current and future clients in the country. You will be an integral team member, managing relationships with clients in addition to conducting investment research and leading investment projects. You will be expected to work in a collegial fashion with the existing team and demonstrate the ability to build strong client relationships. Our goal is to identify a candidate with intellectual curiosity, an insatiable interest in capital markets, and a true appreciation for the value of face-to-face consulting to clients. Your ability to demonstrate accomplishment in the skill areas we seek, along with an appreciation for Callan’s unique and collaborative culture, is of greater importance than your number of years of experience.
Duties and functions include, but are not limited to:
- Work as part of a consulting team on existing client relationships. This will include development of client work plans, attendance at regular meetings, and marshalling Callan resources to deliver best-in-class work on an ongoing basis in the areas of asset allocation, manager structure, selection, monitoring, and ongoing education.
- Collaborate with the Capital Markets Research and Defined Contribution teams on various client projects including, but not limited to, asset/liability and asset/spending studies, asset allocation reviews, and investment structure analysis.
- Monitor existing client portfolios by reviewing quarterly performance measurement reports, ad hoc manager meetings, working closely with the Global Manager Research Group and annual manager reviews.
- Lead searches for new investment managers, either for new allocations or to replace existing managers.
- Research and respond to any and all client requests.
- Make presentations to clients, as necessary.
- Be responsive to clients’ and colleagues’ needs and strive for excellence in all areas.
Prospective Clients/New Business Generation
- Actively prospect and generate new client relationships.
- Appropriately research prospective clients and work collaboratively with Atlanta-based consultants and regional offices, as necessary.
- Collaborate with Atlanta Associate Consultants to respond to Requests-for-Proposals, contributing to writing comprehensive proposals to ensure the delivery of high quality materials.
- Work closely with Atlanta Associate Consultants to create and customize finals presentation materials.
- Develop and actively participate in finals presentations.
- Assist in developing customized educational information and/or presentations for clients.
- Coordinate research efforts for clients.
- Contribute to topical white papers, blog posts, and other research.
- Represent Callan and participate (or present) at industry events and those events sponsored by the Callan Institute.
Job Skills and Requirements
- Deep knowledge of the capital markets in general and the investment landscape in particular
- Ability to form supportable opinions and succinctly communicate such to co-workers and clients
- Demonstrated experience developing new client relationships
- Ability to work with a team in a collegial fashion
- Success managing multiple projects and clients simultaneously
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and confidently, both in writing and in presentations
- Demonstrated passion for learning and seeking new ideas
- Fantastic sense of humor. Trust us. You’ll need it.
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Emphasis on team over self
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Ongoing desire to learn and a drive to improve
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Graduate Degree preferred
- CFA and/or CAIA preferred, or progress toward one or both designations
Compensation and Benefits
Callan offers a generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical, tuition assistance, and more. Being employee-owned, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners in the firm.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $2 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S. Learn more about us at www.callan.com.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Investment Consultant - Atlanta”.
Callan LLC is an equal opportunity employer.