Investment Analyst - Real Estate Private Equity
Whitman Peterson is a real estate private equity company making and actively managing opportunistic real estate investments on behalf of institutional investors. We are passionately focused on achieving top-tier returns, while maintaining a wide margin of safety against under-performance or loss.
- The firm was founded by Bob Whitman, Wes Whitman, and Joel Peterson in October 2010. Since our founding in late 2010, we have raised 5 institutional funds and, through our GP-aligned platform partnerships, have invested in the acquisition or development of more than 150 properties, in transactions with an aggregate capitalization of more than $20 billion. We have investments across most major markets in the U.S. and in the U.K. and Latin America.
- Our key strategies currently include (but are not limited to) multifamily rental housing (conventional apartments, active adult, student, short-term rentals), industrial / logistics, select-service lodging, outdoor hospitality / experiential travel, and seniors housing (independent living, assisted living, memory care).
The company is currently seeking an Investment Analyst for its primary office in Southern California (Westlake Village/Greater Los Angeles Area). Investment Analysts will play key roles within a day-to-day investment team, and consequently will have close interaction with the firm’s leadership. Investment Analysts are involved with transaction due diligence, deal underwriting, asset management efforts, and ad hoc investor requests.
- Conduct detailed financial analyses of an individual asset or portfolio investments, operating companies to determine the attractiveness of investment opportunities.
- Perform financial modeling and valuation analyses of complex deal structures and run sensitivity analyses across a variety of variables to assess the relative risks and opportunities of a given deal or structure.
- Prepare investment memorandums and evaluations of investment opportunities for Whitman Peterson’s investment committee, partners, and external investors.
- Assist in the process of sourcing new investment opportunities through data collection and analysis of best-in-class companies across several real estate sectors.
- Track economic, capital market, and real estate trends to help develop investment and asset management strategies.
Whitman Peterson seeks to employ highly motivated individuals who look to make a big contribution on a close-knit team and are intelligent and accountable. To be considered for the 2021 Investment Analyst opportunity, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 1-3 years of prior relevant work experience in real estate private equity, real estate investment banking or real estate finance (preferably from a top-tier firm). WP will also consider qualified applicants who expect to graduate in May 2021 or graduated within the past year.
- Ability to perform detailed financial analyses, including financial statement analysis, cash-flow modeling, carried interest/waterfall calculations, IRR and cap-rate analyses, etc. (Strong analytical ability is essential).
- Ability to work well in a small, dynamic team and proactively take on tasks with limited direction.
- High proficiency with Excel is critical.
- Evidence of outstanding written presentation ability (in both Word and PowerPoint).
Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com