TRS Investment Officer 2-Public Equities
The New York State Teachers’ Retirement System is seeking candidates to fill an Investment Officer 2 position that will support the management of the System’s public equity investments. Under the direction of the Assistant Manager of Quantitative Strategies the Investment Officer will participate in the implementation of the internally managed portfolios. Specific responsibilities will include validation of the daily investment process, monitoring of portfolio positioning, portfolio construction, performance attribution and reporting. The Investment Officer will also assist with the development of new internally managed strategies, participate in external manager monitoring and selection and may mentor junior staff. The position may require some travel.
The duties of the Teachers’ Retirement Systems Investment Officer 2 include, but not limited to, the following:
• Validate the daily investment process; check daily holdings reconciliation reports and communicate with Investment Operations staff/Custodian to facilitate resolution of any holdings discrepancies and other data related issues
• Daily monitoring of internal portfolios for consistency with stated objectives
• Re-balance internal portfolios according to investment guidelines and cash-flow instructions; run optimizations, review trade lists and optimal portfolio characteristics; cross-check for corporate actions; run internal transfer process; prepare trade lists for execution; and communicate trade instructions to trader
• Review index changes and corporate action events for impact on internal portfolios; generate recommendations for specific actions resulting from such events; communicate decisions to interested parties; and implement decisions and document actions
• Review and monitor positioning within assigned sector for an internally managed quantitative strategy. Develop understanding of industry dynamics and become familiar with companies in the sector. Periodically review stock-selection model ranks for reasonableness e.g. following company earnings announcements and filings, and make recommendations to adjust positioning where appropriate e.g. alpha improvement opportunities, risk control and mergers.
• Generate and analyze monthly performance attributions for internal and externally managed portfolios based on team assignment; review portfolios for compliance with investment guidelines; understand drivers of performance and evaluate consistency with strategy; and sign off assigned portfolios by required deadline
• Generate data/reports as necessary for monthly internal investment committee, investment advisory committee, quarterly board packages, investment policy manual and CAFR.
• Demonstrate initiative by interacting with other groups to develop and build working relationships across the organization that benefit the Public Equity team
• Develop ideas to improve the investment process that increase workflow efficiencies and eliminate manual processes. Interface with other groups as necessary to make recommendations, get buy-in, and implement process improvements.
• Attend suitable training, relevant conferences and educational sessions to gain exposure to market insights and develop industry awareness through networking with peers