Executive Director - Investments
Job Profile Summary
Works directly with ALSAC’s Chief Investment Officer (CIO) as part of a core three person senior investment team to develop investment strategies, manager selection and oversight across a sophisticated, diversified, multi-asset-class institutional investment portfolio. Helps supervise and manage the broader seven-person investment team, including operations oversight. Primary responsibility for the enhancement of the private partnership program in venture capital, growth equity, buyouts, real estate, distressed and other, including developing a program for co- investments. Requires developing relationships with highest quality managers globally and being a strong and responsible brand sponsor for our mission with the objective of securing best-in- class managers. Collaboratively participates as part of the core investment team providing fiduciary support to the Investment Committee in implementing an effective investment strategy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide investment thought leadership on all asset classes. Working closely with the CIO, help guide ALSAC’s investment portfolio strategy collaboratively with our Investment Consultant and the Investment Committee.
- Pro-actively reach-out to capacity constrained private partnership and marketable alternatives managers to highlight our mission and obtain allocations to their funds. In this role the candidate will assume the additional responsibility of being a brand ambassador to the investment manager universe.
- Responsible for investment research and due diligence for current and potential managers with a focus on private partnerships. This includes assessing and opining on legal documentation changes.
- Provide leadership in the overall investment management process through active participation in the revision and refinement of the Investment Policy Statement, Annual Valuation and Asset Class Return Report, Annual Private Partnership Review, Annual Marketable Alternatives Review, Annual Quantitative and Risk Review, Annual Equity Report Review, Annual Fixed Income Review and Quarterly Manager Performance Review.
- Synthesize and integrate investment and market data/intelligence to the broader organization and present such materials at senior leadership forums
- Provide investment research and explanations across all asset managers to the external auditors on an annual basis.
- Help manage an annual summer investment internship program of two to five analysts
- Collaborate with the CIO on departmental strategic planning, budgeting and employee development. Supervise and mentor analysts in the investment and operations functions
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Collaborate with the Finance Department and the Hospital on long-term capital needs and its impact on the Investment Portfolio
- Review the pension and Charitable Gift Annuities plans
- Collaborate with the ALSAC Legal and Gift Planning departments in portfolio
liquidations acquired by donation or through bequests
- Regular interactions with outside consultants, custodians and CGA administrator.
Conduct RFPs as needed
- Selectively participate in corporate events that serve the community and our mission
- Perform other various job functions as may be assigned including, but not limited to, business continuity, disaster recovery and emergency response plans.
Experience: At least ten years of experience in an analytical role within private partnerships Knowledge: Deep understanding of what makes a strong investment manager. Rolodex and contacts within the private partnership universe a plus
Skills: Strong analytical, communications, interpersonal and writing skills. Proficient in the mathematics of finance.
Education: Advanced (Masters) degree in business, economics or the sciences. Professional certifications, such as the CFA, preferred.
Management: Ability to manage and mentor investment colleagues. As one of the three senior members, work collaboratively with the Investment Committee and Consultant. Modest domestic travel and occasional international travel anticipated. Passion and willingness to be a brand ambassador for our mission within the investment community.
Salary Range: Base:
There is no performance bonus structure
We offer an industry leading benefits package