S&P Global Rating Analyst, Financial Institutions
The incumbent will be part of the Johannesburg-based Financial Institutions team, which assigns credit ratings to banks and non-bank financial institutions in the Sub-Saharan Africa region. The Johannesburg team is part of the wider EMEA Financial Services Practice
An individual in this role will be a key contributor to supporting rating surveillance and new rating assignments, covering all aspects of rating analysis. The individual will also contribute to market research, publications and other projects as needed.
A Rating Analyst in the S&P Global Financial Institutions team typically assumes a credit rating support role, working closely under the supervision of primary analysts (who cover a portfolio of credits). This role includes supporting primary analysts in timely rating surveillance, assigning new ratings and collaborating on research commentaries. The culture and working environment places emphasis on teamwork and collaboration, as well as detailed documentation of all aspects of the analysis and publication of ratings. Strong communication skills and curiosity are essential for internal discussions of ratings, as well as external publishing and presentations.
Responsibilities: The role is an essential step towards eventually taking responsibility for a portfolio of financial institutions ratings. The candidate will support and assist primary analysts in updating reports and preparing for client meetings and internal committees. Over time, the successful candidate has the opportunity to progress and assume primary analyst coverage responsibilities for a portfolio of credits.
Although the role will be initially focused on coverage of banks in the Sub-Saharan Africa region, the successful candidate will also be expected to assist and collaborate with analysts in the wider Middle East and Africa team covering sovereigns and insurance companies. The position offers an interesting mix of analytical challenges and opportunities to develop broader communication and project management skills. The successful candidate will be able to undertake rigorous analytical work and will have some experience in research and writing well-structured analytical reports.
An ability to quickly analyze and act upon information is required to maintain and enhance the quality and timeliness of our analysis. A background in financial services analysis is a requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree (finance/economics preferred).
- Proven track record of relevant work experience. Sound knowledge of accounting principles and financial statement analysis for banks and other financial services companies.
- Ability to quickly analyze and act upon information, while demonstrating strong proficiency with figures.
- Strong Excel/Word/PowerPoint and database application skills.
- Solid communication skills, verbal and written, as well as the capacity to expand, learn, and make analytical contributions.
- French language skills would be an advantage for coverage in Francophone Africa.
- Highly organized, meets deadlines and works under time pressure.
- Strong team player - the ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative and multicultural work environment is critical.
- Must have ability to think independently and critically, and have an eye for innovation opportunities.